Sunday, June 12, 2016

Market table


What became of them? Well, the drink was drunk (makrut lime-infused gin and tonic - it tasted a lot like the Rose's Lime Cordial that my grandmother used to take in her gin and tonic before lunch on Sundays).

Strawberries? Mostly just rinsed and eaten straight up, while I watched a movie. Others cut in half and doused with some black currant gin to sit for a few hours before being scooped up with cream.

Leeks: Vichyssoise. Of course.

Onions. Hm. What happened to the onions? Oh. Chopped finely and mixed with cilantro and lime juice as a dressing for super-fresh braaied bluefish.

Asparagus. Steamed. Olive oil and lemon. A bit gritty - I should have soaked them longer.

What is at your farmers market?


4 comments:

  1. There's so much lusciously lovely local asparagus at the Minneapolis Farmers Market. I sliced some diagonally, as a topping for a Sunday lunch pizza (Deb Perelman's crust recipe) with pesto and bacon. Piles and piles of fresh peas. I also got parsley and an enormous bunch of fresh mint, for tabbouleh, and maybe to muddle with some gin and lemon for a Southside. And peonies. Because the hideousness of the world needs to be fought with beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds divine. What else is there to say. I am sorry. xxx

      Delete
    2. As a fellow Minnapolitan I agree. Asparagus, fresh peas and fresh flowers. And I too love your last sentence. And loved the 35W bridge in rainbow colors.

      Delete
  2. In the Portland farmer's markets: luscious raspberries, which I eat just as they are, after gently washing them. There is much more, but right now, I have eyes only for the raspberries. Thank you for your last sentence, Leon van Eck.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.