Thursday, February 4, 2016

How to eat dandelions


Thinking of wild foods snacks for my walks. This would have to be assembled on site. Doable, though tricky for vegans and vegetarians. But oh, so good.

What is it? Basically a messed up salade Lyonnaise. Dandelion wilted in olive oil in a pan where bacon just crisped, then deglazed/soused with good vinegar. Pile onto garlic-rubbed bruschetta with not-quite-hard-boiled-eggs and the bacon. Don't forget the pepper.

Crunch.

_________________________________________


6 comments:

  1. thanks for the inspiration, Marie. I am craving today for eggs since I got up this morning, so just a few minutes age I hard-boiled a few eggs and tortured my brain to produce something else than omelette, egg-salad or deviled eggs. You got me by 'bacon'. M.m.mmmm. Though, it's raining really hard and most likely the dandelion won't make it onto my plate. Some butter lettuce will do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love eggs. And your part of the world...

      Delete
  2. I have never tried Dandelion greens - what would you compare them to? I'm curious. Lord knows I have plenty of Dandelions growing on my property that I could harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are bitter - no getting around that. But with spring coming, you can dig up the crowns, which are where the root and the leaves/stem join - they will be pale, not green; these are choice. Eat them raw or saute them - they always benefit from some good vinegar with a large pinch of sugar, and some salt. Comparisons? -frisee, endive, radicchio...

      Delete
    2. PS: the pale crowns are less bitter than the green leaves, and dandelions growing in shade are milder than in full sun.

      Delete
  3. I love me some dandelions...talk about foraging...all I remember my grandmother doing is forage for dandelions! Happy foraging!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.