Friday, December 28, 2012

December dinner

Lamb with a Spoon and the recipe book my mom gave me when I left South Africa for the first time

I am busy cooking tonight's supper, for the editor of  Edible Manhattans and Brooklyn (and happily also now our friend), Gabrielle Langholtz. She has never seen this little apartment. Oh boy.

Menu

Garlic Soup (this will be in my book, part of the December menu)

xxx

Blood orange, Cara Cara orange and fennel salad with pea shoots and mustard leaves from the roof

xxx

Lamb with a Spoon (my mom's recipe - seven hours of slow cooking) with wild cherry jelly
Roasted cold season broccoli

xxx

Crème caramel (also in the book - and also my mom's recipe)

To drink? An unwooded Oregon Viognier/Chenin blanc that I love - Pine Ridge; and a New Zealand Pinot Noir - Yealands. Plus a tall, cool carafe of water with lemon and terrace mint. Gabrielle is not a big drinker.

But we are!

Update - the verdict: I killed the broccoli. It steamed while I showered. Bad idea. Watch the broccoli.

7 comments:

  1. We like to drink too.....so don't hesitate....I will bring your favorite wine if you cook for me!
    Enjoy your dinner party! Stay warm and get ready for snow tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you. Can't wait for some snow... :-)

      Delete
  2. Does it come with a spoon because the lamb is so soft? I've two gigantic leg cuts in my freezer at home, when we return....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Browning, then white wine and stock (broth), and vegetables. The many hours at about 250'F. Like a lamb pot roast. Our butcher (Staubitz, not Paisanos), er, butchered the leg of lamb we ordered for Christmas and so slow cooking rather than rare-roast was called for.

      Delete
  3. these last two posts are so comforting. You are just the greatest blogger, including your posse. So consistent in so many ways, including surprising and intriguing. Looking forward to your book full of enticing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sorry about your broccoli :-(.
    I do not know why Italians like their broccoli a mush. Maybe it's the showering? A convenient compromise.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.