Tuesday, November 8, 2011

How to make yogurt



There is some really creamy yogurt next door at 66 Square Feet (the Food). Very easy to make.

One of the reasons I want to make my own yogurt is to cut down on the plastic I buy. All the little plastic containers we purchase are just the tip of the plastic iceberg. Re-using the same glass jar for my yogurt makes me feel better, and contributes a tiny bit less to the avalanche of waste we produce.

Another reason is that I want to know what is in my yogurt. I love Fage, which is made in Greece, all those carbon miles away, but as far as I know it is not organic. And I actually don't like any organic yogurt that I have tasted so far. So I will use local milk if I can, and big box organic if that is not possible.

Final reason, now that I have sampled it: it just tastes very, very good!

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the plastic. I have a storage cupboard full of yogurt containers, and I use these to freeze berries and soups -- so I feel moderately absolved. But it ain't the answer because ultimately it's just more packaging that we don't need.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.