Sunday, August 28, 2011

Waiting for Irene


Here are some pictures of the neighbourhood from yesterday evening. Waiting for Irene.


Saturday evening, Court Street. The difference between men and women before a hurricane. The barbershop is deserted, the barbers are sleeping.

The nail salon down the road is hopping. We shall not go into this good night without impeccable pedicures!


Sushi shop on Henry and Pacific took no chances.


Pastry shop bulls eye. Aim storm here. I read in The Times that taping windows is a bad idea? Why? They didn't say.


Restaurant chairs. The were brought in after I took the picture.


Dude, it's closed. A last minute shopper finds Trader Joe's closed.


We'll venture out into the world now after our very late start. I'm not sure what time I went to sleep...More later. I think watching Irene on television must have been more frightening than the real thing, but that is the nature of the beast...

4 comments:

  1. The sleeping barber? He's the lovely chap who cut my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine taping the windows could hurt. My grandmother did it to keep loose shards from flying everywhere. Maybe they meant using blue PAINTER'S tape wasn't a good idea because it wouldn't be effective. The adhesive is weaker than the regular (ugly) window tape we'd use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dinahmow, really?! Did he give you a short back and sides?

    Solange - yes, it's a bit of a mystery. I must find the article again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! Glad Irene didn't linger too long in your neighbourhood :) Have to say it all looked terrifying on TV...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.